FENC enhances energy management with various reduction measures to curtail carbon emissions and mitigate global warming.
Measures and Performance in Energy and Carbon Reduction
FENC continues implementing energy conservation and carbon reduction measures. In 2021, the Company implemented 86 such projects. The main focus on energy conservation is refining the production process and reducing purchased power.
2022 Energy and Carbon Reduction Projects
2022 Energy Conservation and Carbon Reduction Project
GHG Emission Avoided（tCO2e）
Improvement on Production Process
Improvement on Equipment
1. The estimate of energy efficiency is compared against the energy consumption with original production process and equipment prior to project implementation.
2. The calculation of calorific value is based on the factors of calorific value from all production sites.
3. Natural gas is the source of category 1 (scope 1) emission and purchased electricity for category 2 (scope 2) emission.
4. Emission factors for electricity: The factor for production sites in Taiwan is 0.509 tCO2e/MWh as published by the Bureau of Energy, MOEA. The factor for production sites in mainland China is 0.420 tCO2e/MWh, based on the local electrical grid. The factor for production sites in the U.S. is 0.306 tCO2e/ MWh, based on the local electrical grid.
5. Emission factors for natural gas: The factor for production sites in Taiwan is 2.0088 tCO2e/1000 m3, measured by mass balance approach. The factor for production sites in the U.S. is 1.9225 tCO2e/m3 as published by the local government.
6. GHGs avoided include CO2, CH4 and N2O.
Energy Conservation and Carbon Reduction Projects Performance
Actual Investment (NT$1,000)
Energy Conservation (TJ)
GHG Emissions Avoided (tCO2e)
Energy and Emission Reduction Project Highlights
Project and Performance
|FEIS||Control valve relocation: The control valve for the factional column is relocated. The relocation reduced approximately NT$4.3 million in costs and 813 tCO2e in carbon emissions annually.|
|OTIZ||Infrared heating for the extruder screw: The switch to one-way infrared heating increased the thermal efficiently. The project reduced electricity consumption by 128 MWh, reaching 36.4% in energy conservation rate. It also lowers electricity costs by approximately NT$3.5 million and carbon emissions by 744 tCO2e annually.|
|OTIZ||Nitrogen supply integration for the north and south plants: Nitrogen pipelines were rerouted to supply nitrogen from the north plant to the south plant. The rerouting saves approximately NT$2.67 million in electricity costs and 500 tCO2e in carbon emissions annually.|
|Replacement with new high-efficiency water pump: The new high-efficiency water pump reduced carbon emissions by 300 tCO2e and water costs by approximately NT$1.33 million annually.|
The knitting and dyeing plant of FEPV
|Reusing cooling water from the high-temperature dyeing machine: Reusing cooling water from the high-temperature dyeing machine reduces unnecessary energy waste. The energy conserved is the equivalent of 5,414 tCO2e in carbon emissions.|
|Hsinpu Chemical Fiber Plant||Energy conservation for the new injection molding machine: A new motor and insulation are added to the drying system to reduce heat loss. The modification saves approximately NT$1.8 million in electricity costs, reduces 650 MWh in electricity consumption and avoids carbon emissions by approximately 329 tCO2e annually.|
Hsinpu Chemical Fiber Plant
|Optimization of the cooling system control at the cogeneration plant: The optimization of the cooling system reduces electricity consumption by 170 MWh, electricity costs by approximately NT$4.8 million and carbon emissions by approximately 883 tCO2e annually.|