All FENC production sites must comply with ISO 14064-1 or local regulatory standards on the quantification and reporting of GHG emissions.
GHG Management Guidelines and Measures
Production sites under FENC establish individual reduction targets specific to the industry and local governmental regulations. FEIW aims for 1% annual reduction in GHG emission; Hsinpu Chemical Fiber Plant and Kuanyin Chemical Fiber Plant aim for reaching 2%; the target for Kuanyin Dyeing and Finishing Plant is 2.5%; WHFE is striving for 1.5%.FEIS has set 2015 as the base year for carbon reduction targets of 15% by 2020; 35% by 2030. FEIS has exceeded the 2020 target with 21% reduction, and is on course for the 2030 target.The scope of GHG targets includes Scope 1 and Scope 2.
GHG Emissions Per Unit Production
Unit: tCO2e / metric ton of product
GHG Emissions in 2020
The 2020 GHG emissions increased by 24% due to the addition of 6 production sites in the scope of data collection. Among them, 4 are under Petrochemical Business and 2 under Textile Business. Emissions from the 6 sites reach 488 ktCO2e. GHG emissions per unit production decreased by 6% for the year. However, with the addition of the polyester plant of FEPV, changes in product structuring led to an increase in GHG emissions per unit production under Textile Business in 2020.
Biofuel CO2 emission
1. Scope of report: The 2018 statistics include Neili Texturizing Plant, while data collection for the 6 additional sites began in 2020.
2. Scope 1: direct emission includes CO2、CH4、N2O、PFCs、HFCs、SF6 and NF3；scope 2 indirect emission includes CO2、CH4、N2O；total emission does not include CO2 emission from biofuel.
3. OPSC and FEIS conform to SH/MRV-004-2012, which only CO2 emission is calculated.
4. Production sites which have completed ISO 14064-1 standards for GHG inventories in 2018 included: Oriental Petrochemical (Taiwan), Hsinpu Chemical Fiber Plant, Kuanyin Chemical Fiber Plant, Kuanyin Dyeing and Finishing Plant, FEFC, Hukou Mill, OPSC, FEIS, WHFE.
5. Production sites which have completed ISO 14064-1 standards for GHG inventories in 2019 and 2020 included: Oriental Petrochemical (Taiwan), Hsinpu Chemical Fiber Plant, Kuanyin Chemical Fiber Plant, OPSC, FEIS.
6. The total emission in 2020 for FENC’s 4 production sites in Taiwan is 791 ktCO2e.
Currently the inventory of indirect GHG emissions of FENC included staff business trips and waste treatment in the calculation. The scope of staff business trip covers the mileage of air travels from and to production sites in Taiwan and China. Calculation of carbon emission between the departure and arrival points is based on the air travel carbon calculator established by International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). The 2020 carbon emissions generated during staff business trips by air travel is 164 tCO2e, 85% reduction from the previous year. The calculation for carbon emissions from waste disposal covers 16 production sites from Taiwan, China and Vietnam. The calculation of carbon footprint per ton per kilometer for waste disposal at production sites in Taiwan is based on the carbon footprint emission factors released by the Environmental Protection Administration. Calculations for production sites in China and Vietnam are based on the carbon footprint coefficient issued by State Administration for Industry and Commerce’s website on carbon trading. In 2020, the annual CO2 emission for waste disposal is 2,946 tCO2e.
Scope 1 breakdown by GHG type
|Year 2020||Scope 1 (Direct Greenhouse Gas Emission)|